Children’s Writer & Presenter
Specializing in Nonfiction
IRA Young Adult Nonfiction Award
Jane Addams Book Award
SCBWI Golden Kite Award for Nonfiction (Honor Book)
NCTE Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children (Honor Book)
YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults (Finalist)
American Library Association: Notable Children’s Book
VOYA Nonfiction Honor List
Julia Ward Howe Book Award (Finalist)
Parents’ Choice: Gold Medal
California Reading Association: Eureka! Gold Medal for Nonfiction
Massachusetts Must-Read Book
IRA Notable Books for a Global Society
Society of School Librarians International (Honor Book for Social Studies K-6; Best Book for Social Studies 7-12)
Junior Library Guild Selection
Scholastic Book Club
Pennsylvania State Librarians Association Top 40 Nonfiction
Spirit of Texas Reading Program–Middle School
American Booksellers Association’s New Voices
Named one of the best children’s books published in 2012 by:
- Kirkus Reviews
- School Library Journal
- Booklist Editors’ Choice
- Publishers Weekly
- New York Public Library
- Chicago Public Library
- Bank Street College (Outstanding Merit)
- Children’s Book Council, best-of-the-year Diversity list
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Booklist Online: Top 10 Black History Books for Youth: 2013
- Capitol Choices: Noteworthy Books for Children and Teens
- Planet Esme
- The Nonfiction Detectives
The New York Times Book Review Editors’ Choice
Enter the portal to
We’ve Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children’s March
Click the play button below to listen to the song ”We’ve Got a Job” sung by the Birmingham Movement Choir!*
*by permission, not to be duplicated or transferred
STUDENTS: You can meet the marchers, listen to songs, read primary-source documents, learn how I wrote the book, watch videos–including a trailer produced by fourth-graders–and more.
TEACHERS: You can find Curriculum Guides, Common Core ELA Standards Connections, Lesson Plans, Discussion Questions, Ideas for Uneasy Readers, primary-source documents, and both print and video interviews about how I researched and wrote We’ve Got a Job.
- Watch VIDEOS and listen to an Alabama Public Radio AUDIO of Washington Booker III and James W. Stewart.
- Watch a VIDEO ABOUT NONVIOLENCE that I delivered as a YALSA honoree at the American Library Association.
- Read and watch INTERVIEWS with me about researching and writing We’ve Got a Job.
- Read REVIEWS of We’ve Got a Job.
- See photos from book launches.